Vinegaroons make amazing pets. They are non venomous, making them safe for handling. These are extremely creepy looking critters that come from very unforgiving areas of the United States. They are able to handle blazing temperatures during the Summer and during the Winter, it will frost over in their native lands, causing them to go into a sort of hibernation stage.
Food is scarce where they come from so when they do have the chance to eat, they will gorge and get extremely fat!
They can survive for a very long time and are always a hit when people see them for the very first time.
Their primary mode of hunting consists of overpowering their prey, which can sometimes be many times their size!
Why you should get some:
- Not venomous – they cannot hurt you from bites (I’ve never been bit by one even when I stick my finger in its face)
- Easy to feed – eat just about any insect that they are able to overpower
- Easy to house – A medium sized critter keeper will do for one specimen. Simple potting soil with no pesticides and a few wood pieces for it to hide under will suffice
- Look Creepy – Will amaze others who come into contact with it
- Generally active – not shy and will move about in it’s enclosure making them enjoyable
- No need for a heater – These can survive hot temperatures as hibernate when it gets too cold
- Easy to handle – These are not too skittish and generally don’t run too fast (make sure your hands are free of pesticides or chemicals)
- Live long – Can generally live up to 7 or more years
- Require little care – makes them perfect for beginners or even classroom projects
- Drought tolerant – can handle short periods of no water